Thursday, June 4, 2009

El premiero blogo

First blog. High five!

This could very well be my last blog, who knows. I can't imagine who'd want to read about me, but maybe I've been underestimating the excitement that is my life. Maybe the world's been dying with anticipation, waiting to read about the life of a pudgy suburban mom? Yes? Anybody?

Well, here goes. I'm 29 and I live in the burbs with my 21 month old baby and my 32 year old toddler. Ha. We have a very lazy dog, Brutus, whom I love despite his unfortunate ability to clear a room with his SBDs (silent but deadlies...). Is that too much info for a first blog? I don't know. Maybe. Regardless, it makes for some funny moments watching our house guests attempt to ignore the sudden onset of rotting pig carcus-like odour emitted by Brutus.

Ok, so really, I didn't come here just to talk about the bodily functions of my dog.

Back to it...I currently hold down a monotonous, unfulfilling, "why am I still here" job with the Canadian government. Unfortunately, it is this very job that allowed me to spend a full and paid year off with my then newborn baby boy and will once again grant me the same luxury should I ever decide to repeat the whole 'having children' process. So, it's a safe bet that I'll still be here in another 25 years, joining the thousands of other old, disgruntled public servants that live in this town. Ah, to have a dream.

One of the main reasons I wanted to start blogging was to track and record my efforts to lose weight and get into some sort of shape. Like most other pudgy girls, I've "committed" to losing weight about 4, 564 times in the last year but for reasons I'll never understand (read: am in deep denial about) I just haven't stuck with it. So, what better way to keep myself honest than by sharing my struggles with the world...which right now probably consists of my fiancé and my buddy Ashley, who are most likely the only two people reading this ...

Oh crap. I should probably talk about my son first. My little boy Jack, the reason I gained 60 pounds in 9 months. I love him so. Ha! Of course I love him. I LOVE my little boy! I used to always roll my eyes at parents who laid those "love of my life", "never loved anything so much", "my life wasn't complete until I had him" lines on me but turns out, they were all right. Dammit! My name is Courtney and I'm a Jack-aholic.

Jack is the funniest, cutest, cuddliest, perfect-est boy I've ever met! Everyday he does something that makes me laugh my head off and every night I still get butterflies in my stomach when I kiss his sleeping little head goodnight. It's unreal. And it's not just me who thinks this way. My lululemon water bottle tells me that:

Children are the orgasm of life. Just like you did not know what an orgasm was before you had one, nature does not let you know how great children are until you actually have them.

So true, lululemon, so true. Make your pants cheaper. God.

OK, so back to weight loss. I joined Weight Watchers, three weeks ago, for the THIRD time since I had Jack (Sept 07). Needless to say, I'm a little wary. I've failed twice already. But, third time's a charm, right? It has to be. I have a beautiful pair of size 8s DYING to be worn again. I don't want to let them down this time. So, good news, I've done well so far. I'm just starting week three now. My week one weigh in saw me lose 4.5 lbs. Yay. At my week two weigh in, I lost another 2lbs. So, down 6.5lbs in two weeks is a-ok in my books. I'm really hoping to get down another 3.5lbs by next week as that will take me to 10lbs. Stay tuned!

On the fitness side of things, I'm typically at the gym 4 times a week. I train with my wonderful trainer Lindsay 3x a week and punch in an extra few hours on my own. The gym is a complex thing. I can dread it all day, create elaborate excuses for why I absolutely cannot go spend 60 of the 1440 minutes of my day engaging in physical activity, only to absolutely shine after I've gone. The 'after-gym' feeling is definitely one of my top 5 favorite feelings. It ranks right up there with the 15 min post-advil liquigels/my hangover is gone feeling (such a good feeling, fyi).

Anyways, right now I'm feeling pretty good about both the fitness side and the weight loss side of things. Despite this, I'm still nervous that I'm just going to unexplicably fall off the wagon one day and resign myself to a life of pudge. I really don't want that to happen, so the best I can do is take it day by day, believe in myself and remember that I have some REALLY expensive skinny clothes in my closet :)

Till next time boyeeee!

2 comments:

  1. Great blog G-Dog! Oh man, that rhymes...
    Hilarious and insightful writing just as I expected! I look forward to reading more and more. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Court-Dawg!
    Post #1 and I'm looking for more! Good luck with the journey...I battle the "how do I get my lazy butt of the couch?" situation on a regular basis. Maybe you'll inspire me :) Hi to Jack & Ian, hope to see you guys this summer!

    Geege

    ReplyDelete